Post-Operative Instructions: Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Sleep with your head elevated for 3 days. (ex. Extra pillows or in a recliner chair)
- Keep a warm or cool mist humidifier at your bedside.
- Do NOT take very hot showers—this could stimulate a nose bleed.
- NO smoking & NO drinking alcoholic beverages for 2 weeks.
- Eat a soft, cool diet - NO hot or spicy foods for 1 week.
- For Pain relief: Take Tylenol or prescription pain medication provided by your doctor. (NO Aspirin-containing products. No ibuprofen-containing products unless approved by your physician)
- Apply moisturizing saline nasal spray (“Ocean” spray) every 3-4 hours while awake: 3 puffs gently into each nostril. This reduces crusting and facilitates healing. It is available over-the-counter at your pharmacy.
- You may gently blow your nose after saline spray application. Avoid strenuous or vigorous nose-blowing as this could trigger bleeding.
- No strenuous activity, heavy lifting, or exercise for 10 days.
- You may resume nasal medications (ex. Flonase, Nasonex, Rhinocort, etc) 10 days after surgery.
- Mustache Dressings:
- Change the dressing under your nose as often as necessary, using a “2x2” sponge folded in half and held with ½ inch tape.
You may experience some bloody drainage from your nose for 24 to 48 hours after surgery. You may also cough up some old dark blood for 24 hours after surgery. This is not unusual.
If any of the following occur, notify your physician:
- Fresh bleeding
- Increasing pain or swelling.
- Blurred or double vision